The streets of Cheltenham were flooded with people on Sunday as the third Beards Diamond Rush took place. More money than ever before was raised as over £10,000 was raised for Maggie’s Cancer Care Centre Cheltenham. Eager treasure hunters searched for one of ten diamonds each worth £2000, hidden around the town by Beards Jewellers. It is estimated that over a thousand people took part.
Large queues grew around Beards from 9.00am. Treasure maps priced at £10 each were available for the public to purchase. Additional clues were also available on the day priced at £5.
Alex Rose, Managing Director of Beards, said: “Once again we have been absolutely overwhelmed by the phenomenal response the Beards Diamond Rush has received. Maggie’s Cancer Care provides free practical, emotional and social support to people, their family and friends and we’re delighted to help this worthwhile cause. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their continued efforts and are looking forward to doing this again same time next year.”
The first diamond was found within a record-breaking four minutes following the event’s kick off at 10.00am at Cheltenham College. Jack and Jade Baverstock and Kieran Bermingham, discovered the first diamond at 10.04am, whilst the final diamond was found at 12.47pm at Cleeve Hill.
Anna Mason, Center Fundraiser for Maggie’s Cheltenham, said: “It has been another incredible day. The fun and frolics of the Diamond Rush has raised vital funds for Maggie’s that will support people through a really tough time. The Diamond Rush has helped change people’s lives for those who will benefit from its fundraising contribution.”
Other stones were unearthed at the following locations:
1. Cheltenham College by Jade Baverstock, Jack Baverstock and Kieran Bermingham
2. Cheltenham Racecourse by Andrew Booth,Rebecca Booth and Alison Close
3. Hatherley Park by Fiona Cleland
4. Bottle of Sauce by Georgia Pearson-Blake
5. Gloucester Quays by Daniel Hughes and Sophie Ford
6. Pittville Park by Rhys Elliot and Megan Haque
7. Ellenborough Park by Victoria Smith
8. Wilsons Art Gallery by Daniel McGuire
9. Waitrose by Lauren and Dominic
10. Cleeve Hill by Adrienne Niblett and Jeanette Hoskins